Steam cleaning your carpets isn’t a complicated task to do yourself. There are those who consider going for a carpet cleaning service to get this done, but you should know that you can do it yourself as well. As soon as you are done vacuuming and dusting your carpet, the final step is steam cleaning. This helps maintain the pristine condition of your carpet and extends its longevity.
Table of Contents
We all know that house cleaning prices don’t come cheap. The good thing is that, you can easily do it by yourself. You only need to have all the right tools and the right mindset to achieve a clean household. So, if your carpets need cleaning, there are many tips that can help you clean it yourself.
What is steam cleaning?
The term steam cleaning is actually fallacious. When the temperature of the water reaches around 202 oF/ 100 oC, steam is formed. This degree of hotness can melt the adhesive of the carpet and can damage the adhesive of the subflooring.
Cleaning services refer to “Steam cleaning” as a hot water extraction method. This cleaning process is a combination of hot water and the cleaning solution being injected into carpet fibers at high pressure. Lastly, the soil is removed by a powerful vacuum.
Sounds technical? Don’t worry as we’re going to share tips for you to do it by yourself.
Important carpet steam cleaning tips
With these tips, you can do steam cleaning at home. Here are the basic carpet cleaning tips for you:
Clear the floor
The most significant step before steam cleaning your carpet is to remove all the general clutter from the floor. Clear your floor space by moving all tables, and furniture to another room.
- For heavy furniture, place squares of foil, wood blocks, or wax paper beneath their legs to protect them from moisture from steam cleaners.
- If you don’t have extra room to move your furniture, move it all to half of the room and work on the other half. Make sure that the carpet is dry before moving back your furniture.
Dust all surfaces
Carpet cleaners remove dirt, debris, and pet hair. However, too many of these can clog your vacuum. So, it is recommended to dust your baseboards beforehand. You can use a long-handled duster or use a nozzle attachment to remove as much dust as you can.
Similarly, dust ceiling fans and corners of the ceiling to minimize the amount of dust from falling on the carpet after you have steam cleaned it. Just like any house or apartment cleaning tips, dusting is never off the list.
Vacuum the carpet thoroughly
Steam cleaners are not meant for removing large debris. Vacuum your floors thoroughly and more slowly than usual. It is best to vacuum your floor twice to get rid of as many larger dirt pieces. Vacuum in the opposite direction ensures all sides are free from dirt.
The heat from the steam cleaners can make some stains like pet stains harder to take off. Carpet stains usually return after shampooing because as soon as the carpet dried, the fibers pushed back the stain to the surface. Therefore, it is helpful to treat stains before steam cleaning the carpet.
On the other hand, if you think that your carpets are heavily stained, and it doesn’t look good anymore, you can start looking for latest kitchen remodeling trends that does not include any carpeted floors.
Fill the Steam cleaner with Hot Water and Cleaning Solution
One of the essential tips for steam cleaning carpets is to add very hot water to the machine tank. Put as much water up to the tank’s capacity line. After, add a cleaning solution to the machine’s specific compartment. Other machines might direct you to combine soap with water.
- Remember to always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions about the amount of water and kind of detergent especially if your machine is under warranty.
- If you opt for a more natural option, one of the friendly steam cleaning carpet tips is the use of vinegar over detergent or cleaner. Mix a 50/50 solution of distilled white vinegar with hot water.
Steam Cleaning the Carpet
- Start cleaning in the corner. Look for the corner that is diagonal from the door. If the room has no corners or has more than one entrance, you are free where to start. Make sure once you start cleaning, you won’t pass by the area that is already cleaned.
- Working slowly is one of the important tips for carpet steam cleaning. Press the trigger while working yourself out of the room- one slow forward and backward. Push the machine forward slowly to lay water and carpet cleaning solution. Then, pull the cleaner back slowly to suck up as much water as possible.
- Not all steam cleaners follow the same process. Others work only by pushing or only by pulling. It is essential to read your machine’s manual before using it.
- If you notice that the dirty-water tank is filled up with brown water, throw out dirty water and refill it with a cleaning solution.
- Repeat the procedures above until the water being pulled up looks clean or clear.
- If you want to make sure that your carpet is squeaky clean, go through the area a second time. This time refill the water tank with a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and water. This helps to neutralize and remove the soap, and more importantly, helps kill allergens while deodorizing the carpet.
Let the carpet dry completely
Normally, it takes 6 to 8 hours to dry a carpet, but some may take around 12-24 hours. While waiting for it to completely dry, make sure you don’t walk on your carpet. However, if there’s a need for you to, put clean plastic bags over your feet to prevent tracking in dust and dirt.
- To speed up the process, turn on your air conditioner, and ceiling fans or place a floor blower in the room. Opening up your windows can also increase air circulation. This is very important, as it helps your carpet from mold damage, which can be hazardous to your health.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve also compiled some of the common questions asked by customers about steam carpet cleaning.
How many times do you need to do steam carpet cleaning?
At least you can do this once a year, that would be great. Deeply cleaning your carpets and disinfecting them with steam helps preserve their hygienic condition. Molds, parasites, and bacteria can grow in between those fibers, and that ruins your carpets’ pristine looks. Moreover, it’ll cause allergies and diseases for everyone in the house.
Is Castile Soap good for carpets?
This is good at removing oils and grease on your carpets. It’s also not that strong to make the fabric brittle, thus, a perfect choice for your carpet cleaning task.
Is it worthwhile to hire a professional for your carpet cleaning?
There are pros and cons to hiring a professional. So far, the average cost of professional carpet cleaning is around $200 to $300. If you compare that to DIY carpet cleaning, you’ll spend around $125 to $175 doing it on your own. You’ll have savings there if you do it by yourself.
But the main advantage of hiring a professional would be your savings with time and effort. If you’ll be doing other important things, it’s better to let a professional do your carpet steam cleaning. You’re confident that they’ll take good care of your carpets.
Let’s Wrap Up
We hope our steam carpet cleaning tips help you get an idea of how it can be done at home. Prepare the necessary things, know the process, and then, you’re good to go. Follow these tips for professional steam cleaning carpets, and you can expect your carpets to last up to 10 years or longer.
Visit us on Instagram, or contact us now to get a free estimate!